Most likely you’ve heard that water is an essential part of survival. Without it, your body wouldn’t last. But is all water okay to drink?
Well, the tap water from the sink is fine for the most part, but it’s not the cleanest. It’s filled with traces of chemicals and minerals that could potentially make you sick. So, instead of spending your money on store-bought distilled water, make DIY distilled water at home.
Check out the information below to learn how.
What Is Distilled Water?
Distilled water is water that has been purified through the process of condensing water vapor from impure water. If you’re ever out camping or somewhere where you can’t get to clean H2O, distilling it is the best way to ensure that it’s safe to drink.
Tap water, seawater, stream water, and snow are all sources of drinking water once it’s been purified.
How to Make DIY Distilled Water
Making distilled water is done using only a few items. You can use any heat source to create DIY distilled water, including a stove, campfire, or grill.
Here are the items you’ll need:
- A large aluminum or stainless steel pot
- A rounded lid for the pot
- Ice cubes
- A glass or metal bowl
You may also want to have some oven mitts or hot pads to protect your hands from the heat.
- In a large pot, add in the water until the pot is partially full.
- Place the bowl inside of the pot. Doing so collects the water that drips from the center of the pan lid. Be sure to find a bowl that’s big enough and won’t overfill and put the water back into the big pot.
- Set the lid upside down on the pot. Once you heat up the water, the water vapor will rise to the lid, condense into droplets, and fall down into the bowl.
- Next, turn on the heat for the pot. It’s okay to get the water really hot without bringing it to a boil.
- Place ice cubes on top of the lid of the pot. This cold contrast helps to condense the steam inside of the pot into liquid water.
- Once this process is done, turn off the heat and carefully remove the bowl of distilled water.
An Easy Way to Make Distilled Water
In addition to DIY distilled water, you can also collect naturally distilled water from rain. To do so, use a clean container to capture the water during rain showers. But be careful not to use any rainwater that comes from the roof or through the gutters.
Once you’ve collected it, wait a day or so for any sediment to fall to the bottom of the container. You can either pour the water off the top of it or further filter the water using a coffee filter or by boiling it.
Also, if you would like to learn how to get distilled water for your home, click the highlighted link.
Distilled Water Made Simple
As you can see, DIY distilled water is simple to make. If you ever need fresh water, give these hacks a try!
If this content was useful to you, continue browsing through our blog. Our website covers numerous topics that are educational and informative.
Read on to discover more.