As you’re shopping for your baby, you’re on the hunt for the best product out there: safe, excellent quality, and aligns with your parenting values. Walking through the aisle with baby wipes can feel a bit overwhelming. There are dozens of products to choose from.
So, how do you find the best one for your baby (without scouring the internet for hours doing research)? Read on for some important factors to consider and look for as you decide which baby wipes will be best for your little one.
1. Recommended by Pediatricians
While reading reviews is a great way to gauge the effectiveness of a baby product, one seal of approval you’ll want to look for is from pediatricians. Many baby products will be recommended or approved by pediatricians. Pediatricians have the health of your baby in mind and will recommend or approve products that they know will be safe for your little one.
Pediatricians aren’t the only healthcare professionals you can turn to for recommendations. When it comes to baby wipes, look for products recommended by dermatologists and are accepted by the National Eczema Association. Skin is a dermatologist’s forte, so you know that you can trust their recommendation to keep your baby’s skin safe and healthy.
2. No Harmful Ingredients
When you’re shopping for baby wipes, turn over the product and read the label. You want to find a product that doesn’t use harmful ingredients in its wipes. This helps your baby in more ways than one.
The biggest ingredient to look out for is plastic. It is estimated that 90% of baby wipes on the market contain plastic materials. Why is this bad? Plastic releases toxic chemicals which can make their way into the blood and tissue, which can cause health-related issues. Some other chemicals found in baby wipes that can cause health-related defects are parabens, phthalates, rubber, and heavy metals.
Many baby wipe products also contain fragrance and dye which can cause skin irritation in your child in the form of a rash or redness. All babies have sensitive skin, but some babies are particularly sensitive to products. If you know your baby’s skin is sensitive, opt for a wipe with natural ingredients.
3. Fewer Ingredients Compared to Other Baby Wipes
As you’re looking at the ingredients on baby wipes, it can add to your overwhelm to read the words (often very scientific) on the package. Here’s a trick: look for products that have fewer ingredients than others. Baby wipes with a high ingredient list are filled with things that aren’t necessary to keep your baby healthy.
There are plenty of natural baby wipe products that contain very few ingredients and work just as well – and in most cases better – compared to products with tons of ingredients. For example, Coterie is a sustainable company that sells exceptional baby wipes that are made with only five ingredients. Coterie’s baby wipes are made up of 99% water and the remaining 1% is made up of quality components that help your baby: Vitamin E and Glycerin for skin health and Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, and Hydroxyacetophenone, gentle preservatives that ensure safety.
As a parent, you want to leave the planet a better place for your child and that means finding products that are safe and sustainable for the environment. Traditional baby wipes that are made with plastic contain two resins: polyester and polypropylene. These materials are not completely biodegradable and instead of degrading, they break up into hundreds of thousands of microplastics that pollute the environment. These microplastics can take up to 100 years to fully decompose.
Luckily, you can rely on the 10% of baby wipe products that do not contain plastic. Baby wipes without plastic, like Coterie baby wipes, are biodegradable and decompose much quicker. In Coterie’s baby wipes, they decompose at a faster rate than an apple. Talk about all-natural!
Parenting comes with lots of choices and you’re bound to feel overwhelmed. Now, you have the knowledge you need to find the best and safest baby wipes for your little one. You can your baby will be much happier using wipes that are cleaner and better for the environment.
Leave a Reply