The flooring type you choose can make or break your home renovation project. Your lighting and paint choices are essential, too, but your flooring is probably the most important element to consider.
Your flooring has immediate transformative abilities. It matters a lot because it is your initial ‘physical interaction’ with a room the moment you step inside one. Moreover, it accounts for a huge portion of your budget. Therefore, you must ensure you are making a well-informed decision, so it’s best to choose a flooring type that will last a lifetime.
When it comes to durability, you can’t go wrong with wall-to-wall carpeting. It provides plenty of benefits, too, including good acoustic performance, superior comfort, safety, and thermal qualities. It will also help you set the mood you want for your space and create an ambiance indicating to occupants how the room is supposed to be used.
Here’s everything you need to know about wall-to-wall carpeting and what makes it an excellent choice for your flooring.
Wall-to-wall carpet – what is it?
Also known as “broadloom carpets” or “fitted carpets,” wall-to-wall carpets can cover an entire space with just a few pieces because it is manufactured in long, wide rolls. Thus, it can create a seamless look for your home. And with so many varieties to choose from, it is not difficult to find the piece that will satisfy your needs and budget.
5 benefits of wall-to-wall carpets
Wall-to-wall carpets provide the following key benefits:
Wall-to-wall carpeting is available in a wide range of styles. You can choose from different patterns and colours. It gives you the greatest freedom in terms of creating customized designs because there are no unsightly seams or modular requirements that can affect your design.
2. Unparalleled plushness
Wall-to-wall carpeting offers a wide variety of yarn options and carpet backing, allowing for unmatched plushness that other options can’t provide. It offers underfoot comfort, minimizes back pain from standing, and absorbs the heavy impact of foot traffic.
3. Greater safety
Home safety should always be a priority, especially if you have kids or elderly parents. Wall-to-wall carpeting functions like a buffer for your steps and minimizes the risk of falling and slipping.
4. Better insulation
Wall-to-wall carpeting offers sound insulation, helping to minimize disturbing noise from outdoors. Privacy and silence are ensured as it inhibits transitions across floors.
5. Good for health
Wall-to-wall carpets are manufactured in a way that will benefit your health. With the innovations in carpet manufacturing, some carpets today are designed to be resistant to deformation and stains. These carpets also do not shed, produce bacteria or trigger different types of allergies.
Buying a carpet: 3 important considerations
When choosing a wall-to-wall carpet, there are carpet properties you must consider.
When it comes to carpet construction, you can choose from among these options.
- Woven – These carpets are produced on a loom using primarily natural materials. These offer superior durability and quality.
- Needle punched – These carpets are often used as entry mats because they dry fast and are highly resistant to fading and sunlight.
- Tufted – These carpets are your best option when endurance and superior quality are of your top concerns.
Besides construction, another crucial consideration that can significantly affect the feel, look, and performance of a carpet is style. Here are three main carpet styles:
- Cut pile – These carpets are made by cutting yarn loops, creating an upright pile. These give off a more luxurious and formal look.
- Loop pile – These carpets are created by combining lower and higher loops to play with patterns and textures. They have a smoother and softer feel and look.
- Cut and loop pile – These carpets are built with a mixture of cut and loop yarns, allowing for a wide range of styles and patterns and more sculptured effects, like swirls and squares.
An in-depth understanding of the type of fibre used will help you understand the qualities you’ll expect from a specific blend.
- Polypropylene – This is a synthetic fibre that is highly resistant to stains and fading, but is quite deficient when it comes to durability.
- Wool – This is a natural fibre, famous for being luxurious, stain-resistant, and durable. It also provides the utmost comfort and upholds excellent structural integrity. Because of its cream colour, this fibre has a more minimalist look than other fibre options.
- Polyester – This is also a type of synthetic fibre with a long history of being applied in carpet manufacturing. With today’s tech advancements, this fibre’s durability has significantly improved.
- Nylon – This is a popular option because of its high durability, comfort, and resilience. Also, it is stain-resistant, static-free, and maintains its height well.
- Recycled materials – Made from fishing nets and other types of industrial nylon waste, this fibre type is gaining popularity, especially among the eco-conscious crowd. This will boost your environmental footprint because it is made from sustainable and durable materials.
4 Tips When Choosing a Wall-to-Wall Carpet
A successful wall-to-wall carpet home project is the outcome of thorough planning and preparation. Here are steps you should take before making a purchase.
1. Get a sample
Depending on the lighting condition, the options you see online may appear different from the actual. Thus, make sure to get a sample of the style and design you want so you can look and feel it in person. Ensure that the sample is made with the same weight and quality as that of the product for sale.
2. Choose a carpet backing
The carpet backing will affect the underfoot comfort, durability, and acoustic properties of the carpet. Choose a supplier that does not use additives in their carpet backing, such as PVC and bitumen, because these pose environmental hazards.
3. Create a carpet placement plan
Mistakes can quickly become costly with wall-to-wall carpeting, so you need to have a detailed carpet placement plan before getting started. This way, seam placement and direction will be a lot easier. Make sure to have the flooring plan checked by your carpet supplier to ensure its accuracy.
4. Prepare for installation
For best results, let a professional install your wall-to-wall carpeting. But before these pros deliver and install the carpets, ensure that your home is ready to avoid costly delays. A clear plan and thorough communication are crucial to ensure that the installation is performed on time and within budget.
Your wall-to-wall carpeting can last long if you maintain it properly. Create a maintenance plan, and be sure to stick with it. Also, regularly check for potential problem areas, such as traffic lanes, congested channels, and track-off areas. Deal with problems immediately to prevent further problems.
Wall-to-wall carpeting is a great choice for your flooring because of its many benefits and the many options to choose from.
But to ensure the success of your wall-to-wall carpeting project, buy your carpets from a reputable supplier and let a professional do the installation. More importantly, make sure to care for it to preserve its beauty and prolong its lifespan.
James Prathap is the General Manager at NGC Nafees, one of the leading distributors of wallpapers, floorings, and fabrics in the Middle East and South Asia. Formed three decades ago, the business also offers high-quality panoramics, coordinated fabrics, and creative stickers for residential and commercial projects.
Leave a Reply