The cute little hamsters clearly deserve the kindness of kindness. But are they also suitable as children’s pets? As with many things in life, there are pros and cons. And it depends on the circumstances.
If the decision is made to have a hamster come into the house for the offspring, it should be carefully considered by the parents. Because even if hamsters are sugary, they are not always suitable for children. Of course, this does not mean that it is impossible. It always depends on the age of your child. An adolescent can, after instruction in her species-appropriate hamster husbandry, take on the necessary responsibility for the small rodent. If it were a hamster, even with younger children, it is essential to establish some rules beforehand and make it clear that the hamster is “only there to watch” https://lumbuy.com/human-hamster-ball/.
Hamster as a Pet for Kids: Pro
In addition to an unbeatable price to buy and the little space that a hamster would occupy in their living space, there are other advantages that hamsters also bring as pets for children:
● Ideal for little hamster researchers – One just likes to stare at little chubby cheeks as they ride their bikes or “handle” their food. For young children, only one hamster can be observed. So if your kid is one of the bystanders who don’t want to hug the animals but want to see them, a hamster is well suited.
● Hamsters are nocturnal – If your child doesn’t feel like the hamster for a few days, it doesn’t matter. Rodents use the time to sleep anyway during the day and enjoy the peace.
● Taming hamsters is possible – If the hamster is often carefully taken out of its cage and has regular human contact, then the little fur nose can be tamed wonderfully with a little patience.
● Hello loner – Hamsters are absolutely loners and quickly get into the group’s wool. This is good for you if your child wants sweet rodents and not a whole group. Because many rodents prefer to live in groups, for example rats, guinea pigs or chinchillas.
● Diversity in shape and color. – Your child can choose between different types of hamsters: preferably smaller or larger; long coat or short coat? What color can it be?
Hamster As A Pet For Children: Against
There is also some reason not to buy this cute rodent as a pet for your child, at least if you want your child to take care of the animal. However, this is only possible from a certain age when there is a pronounced sense of responsibility. Young children should only be spectators for the following reasons:
● Night activity of hamsters – There is also a hidden downside to the advantage mentioned above: if your child goes to bed early, he can only observe the sleeping hamster during the day. Then she quickly gets bored. Also, the hamster frenzy begins during twilight. This means that the volume of the cage will be very disturbing at night and it is not possible to accommodate it in the children’s room.
● Low life expectancy for hamsters – Dwarf hamsters are only one and a half years old. There are also species that receive two or three years of life. But for your child, the short life expectancy does not mean a particularly long bond with the animal and possibly early and unexpected pain.
● Increased maintenance – Hamsters should always have water, hay and straw available. Proper nutrition is important and the hamster’s cage should also be cleaned regularly. Hamsters need jobs and sometimes some exercise. If your child is still very young, the work is entirely in your hands.
● There are no stuffed animals – Even if they look like this: Hamsters don’t particularly like hugs and cuddles. Children find it quite difficult to find a healthy “touch measure” and, in the worst case, the rodent bites painfully. In young children, motor skills are still too uncomfortable, so the hamster can also escape or be injured.
There are different types of hamsters that can be used to keep pets: golden hamsters, stuffed hamsters, and different types of dwarf hamsters. In some cases, they differ considerably in their posture and therefore also in their effort. Therefore, it is essential to inform yourself about the differences before buying so that you can make the right decision for you.
Leave a Reply